During recent years there’s been a lot of talk around it and numerous articles emphasising the importance of it. But what exsactly is a balanced lifestyle? How to define it and what are simple tricks to achieve it?
By definition, Lifestyle Balance, is a term that refers to a lifestyle in which a healthy balance exists between time and effort spent on relationships, work, fitness, family and health. Having a balanced lifestyle is considered essential for optimum levels of physical and mental health.
Achieving the right balance in your everyday life, can have a tremendous effect on physique, emotional and spiritual form.
Being in balance can mean different things to each individual and may require more effort, depending on where you live and your profession. We all get bogged down with work and family responsibilities from time to time, but making time for yourself is necessary in order to keep up with all your responsibilities. All batteries get run down, even yours. So recharge your body physically and mentally and make the commitment to enjoy some “you time” every day.
Exercise for Good Health
Exercise is never something you should force yourself to do, or you won’t be likely to stick with. Do something that you like and look forward to doing, instead of another chore that you’ll be tempted to skip. Remember that exercise plays a huge role in stress reduction, so make time and motivate yourself for exercise by:
- Make it a part of your weekend plans.
- Do different types of exercise. Run, cycle, play tennis or go swimming – there are plenty of options that may prove more “excitable” than going to the gym.
- Sneak in some exercise on your lunch break or early morning. Workouts don’t have to be very long – read this article for more exercises to do at home or in the office.
- Schedule your exercise in your diary, same as you would an important meeting! Make it an integrated part of your day.
The right diet will keep your body healthy, give you energy, and boost your spirits. Healthy food can be delicious, and does not have to be time-consuming.
- Search the internet for healthy/high protein recipes or get a cookbook for more inspiration.
- Cook a double portion and save half in a container – thats your healthy lunch the following day sorted!
- Buy fresh, fruits and vegetables you can grab on the go.
- Try to vary your proteins – if you have chicken one day, have fish the next, etc.
- For busy days, when you’re unable to cook a substantial meal, focus on healthy snacking alternatives and resist the temptation to call the pizza guy.
Overall, I find a healthy and balanced lifestyle is best achieved by developing a few simple habits to follow on a daily basis. This can be a regular healthy breakfast, a steady workout routine or making time for a night out with friends once per week.
Everything in moderation is a phrase you hear often, and with good reason.
Everything in moderation means that there’s a healthy balance to your life, so laugh, love, live, and be healthy.